Address: 877 West Market Street /PO Box 316 - Orwigsburg, PA 17961 Phone: (570) 366-0622 / Fax: (570) 366-1159
The club was formed in 1905 in Pottsville as the "Outdoor Club of Pottsville". The club's original charter and by laws were created as this time, and the basic outline and structure of these documents still exist today. In 1919, the members of the "Outdoor Club of Pottsville" decided to purchase a scenic piece of property in Orwigsburg, PA, and build a 9-hole golf course. They purchased 4 pieces of land totaling 113 acres for $11,850 from Franklin P. Seltzer, Milton D. Reber, Henry B. Genslinger, and Susan Katyuch. Francis X. Reilly was hired as architect of the clubhouse and Gordon Nagle as contractor, and together they built a beautiful clubhouse on top a hill at a cost of $32,875. The view allowed for all to see for miles in all directions.
The original 9-holes of the golf course were built by Frank James at a cost of $20,700. In 1921, the course and clubhouse opened and the members officially moved from the Pottsville location to Orwigsburg. The same by laws and charter were kept, just the name was changed to Schuylkill Country Club.
The existing building is still the main focus of the clubhouse today. The Schuylkill Haven room (behind the fireplace), living room, dining room, grill room and kitchen area are all part of old structure. The 2nd floor was the original ladies locker room. They had showers, bathrooms, lockers, and a sitting area. What many people do not know is the 2nd floor also had rooms that were used for different employees as living quarters throughout the years. These rooms have since become unlivable and are now used for club storage.